On love, friendship, and good values

You may never know what other people think and do and how they behave by just their name and their looks. You can never understand what are the motives of kind people in helping others even if they don't know them personally. But for me, kindness don't need reasons. It is anchored on the principles of love.

The Apostle Paul once wrote to the Corinthians saying "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing." (1 Corinthians 12:3). Helping outside the context of love for others is useless. Moral and social obligations could not be perfectly exercised unless a person feels the need to care for others, out of his love for others. "Teaching a man how to fish,"is an exercise of moral and social responsibility. But "giving man a fish" is an act of kindness bound with love that doesn't question all the other consequences. Many people would disagree this point yet it is one of the virtues, Jesus wanted to inculcate into those who wants to follow him.

Last June 27 I met a newfound friend for the first time, we had known each other through the net for several months. I haven't known him personally yet I have heard of his generosity. The challenge he brought into my life is tremendous since it promised a life changing situation, it proposes a new twist in the chapter of my career, it even threatens to rearrange the easy lifestyle and routine I had been used to, and furthermore it puts me into other predicaments in the aspects of physical, spiritual, and financial management. I don't want to talk about the details of the business proposal here for personal reasons.

Well, its no big deal! I can just choose to step out of the project and make myself comfortable again. Don't think about the career, the business, and the opportunity. But there is something within that pushes me to continue - that is the social and moral obligations anchored on love for others. I felt this pressure from the thought of Sir Art, the man I met recently. I firmly believe that if I may not be able to do my task, this man is really bound to pursue his plans with or without me. I salute him for his generosity, kindness, and love for others.