Forgetfulness

I have become forgetful this later days and I am aware there are positive and negative consequences.

In the negative side, the most recent forgetting event that happened is just today. I forgotten to fetch my little boy from school. My son, who is currently in Kindergarten, is supposed to be out in the nearby Catechetical school by 11:00 AM. His mother who is in part-time business works regularly fetched him from school. But today she asked me to pick him up because she has important things to do. But came lunch time, my older son arrived at the office where we used to eat our lunch. That was the time I remembered the little boy. What follows was rush-rush-rush and there he was in the school gate standing alone and crying. Thanks God he is safe.

Now in the positive side, being forgetful is a good christian virtue when it comes to sin. The act of forgiving is an act of forgetting the misgiving of others. Yes, it is practical to think that to forgive is not totally blanking out the wickedness but to remember it and learn the lesson. Yet, total healing of relationships comes from blotting out every memory of sin. A broken friendship could not be reconciled totally if the record of errors made keep on showing up.

For us Christians, it is a great challenge to practice forgetfulness as we are told to do so by Christ himself. If we want this world to be in total peace, one of the greatest virtue is forgetfulness.